More than one out of four Americans over the age of sixty-five have lost all of their teeth. That’s a lot of people. With that percentage in mind, here are five things about dentures worth knowing.
1. Dentures are not the only replacement choice for missing teeth. Dental implants used alone or with a partial denture are often a superior option for patients. A removable appliance replaces only the visible parts of teeth, but an implant replaces both the root and crown. This has important implications. Dental implants can avoid bone recession that commonly occurs following tooth extractions. Dental implants can furnish patients the near-normal ability to chew and speak.
2. There is more than one type of denture. Most men and women are familiar with the removable denture that replaces a complete upper or lower arch. There are also partial dentures that are used for patients who have some original teeth. Partial dentures can be permanent in the mouth or removable.
3. Even if you have worn dentures for a while, you may be a well-suited candidate for implant-anchored dentures. The vital factor is whether you have enough bone to support an implant. Bone grafting can augment bone for some people.
4. Regardless of your tooth replacement configuration—full dentures, partial dentures, or tooth implants—you still need to practice correct oral hygiene. Removable appliances should be cleaned daily.
5. Even if you have no remaining teeth, it’s essential that you have regular dental checkups. Good oral health is an integral component of overall physical well-being.
At Crabtree Dental in Katy TX we offer dental implants, including implant-supported dentures. Call our office to schedule an appointment with us today!
Contact Crabtree Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
23056 Westheimer Pkwy